ABOUT 

BSA Tools Ltd is a long-established company based in the industrial heartlands of the UK. 
Traditionally a major world producer of single and multi-spindle automatic and CNC lathes, in recent times has concentrated on the service spares and training sectors supporting clients throughout the UK and the world. 
BSA Tools has always enjoyed an enviable reputation for the engineering expertise of its employees and has been the forefront of training both its own personnel and those of its customers. 
Membership of financial institutions such as the Birmingham chamber of commerce ensures that the company remains in tune with the latest developments in respect of both technology and the markets. 
With the same principles in mind, BSA maintains close working relationships with the major control system manufacturers, Fanuc, Siemens, & Heidenhain to broaden its sales and training opportunities to the market. 

HISTORY OF BSA 

1692  
 
Five Birmingham gunsmiths under the leadership of Sir Richard Newdegate manufactured 200 Snapshot muskets per month at seventeen shillings per piece. 
1854 
 
At the time of the Crimean War, 14 gunsmiths decided to make their trading position more formal so they joined together as The Birmingham Small Arms Trade Association. 
1861 
 
At a meeting on June 7th, the gunsmiths took the decision to form a public company. ‘The Birmingham Small Arms Company Limited’ was formed with aim of manufacturing by machinery. This was the beginning of the BSA name. 
 
As the parent company prospered making cycles, cars and its famous motorcycle range, so did BSA Tools Ltd., producing the machine tools upon which these products were made. These included the world famous single and multi-spindle automatic lathes, copy and multi-tool lathes, grinding machines, transfer lines and broaching machinery. 
1938 
 
The growth in business dictated the building of a purpose build factory at Kitts Green, Birmingham, and the current site of the company. 
1939 
 
The need to produce machines for the government saw the company develop very rapidly and its Managing Director, James McLaren, became head of the government department for machine tool supply. 
1945-68 
 
This period of general prosperity reflected in the continued growth of the company. With the development of the “electronic age” the company saw the need to enhance its products and launched the highly successful Batchmatic range of machines that was sold world-wide. 
1968 
 
The parent organisation sold its profitable BSA Tools division and the new numerically controlled Batchmatic technology to Alfred Herbert’s Ltd. Continuous development of this product range gave rise to computer numerical controls, which enhanced the capabilities of the machines. 
1980 
 
Restructuring saw the sale of the BSA division and its enhanced product range to White Consolidated Industries (W.C.I.) of America, one of the largest USA machine tool companies. This move enabled the company to take advantage of other developments and bring to its British plant a variety of American technologies. 
1986 
 
Electrolux took over White Consolidated Industries (W.C.I.) providing an opportunity for the BSA division to undergo a management buyout, putting the company back into private hands and once again enabling the BSA Tools Ltd name to be brought back into use. 
1992 
 
BSA Tools Ltd successfully purchased the assets and manufacturing rights to the Churchill range of CNC Turning Centres. This includes the new and advanced technologies surrounding the Omega range of machines and turning centres. 
1993 
 
BSA Tools Ltd successfully purchased the stocks, intellectual property and manufacturing rights of the Winchester CNC Multi-Slide lathe and its new advanced technology in high production manufacturing. 
1994 
 
BSA Tools Ltd successfully purchased the assets of Twywood Limited, who held an excellent reputation in the field of rebuilding Multi-Spindle Automatics. 
1996 
 
Established import business designed to broaden the range of products offered, concentrating on complimentary machines no longer manufactured in the UK. 
1997 
 
The ‘Pro-Elip’ process of elliptical turning first developed in conjunction with Siemens for specialist application. 
1998 
 
First public showing of the Speedturn 8 Axis CNC Multi-Slide lathe developed from the Winchester concept and designed to replace the single spindle automatic. 
2000 
 
Introduction of BSA Teach lathe range making BSA Machine Tools Ltd. A one stop shop for all turning requirements. 
Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. ACCEPT COOKIES MANAGE SETTINGS